- 1991 M.S. Animal Breeding and Genetics, University of Novi Sad, Yugoslavia
- 1998 M.S. Animal and Veterinary Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- 2005 Ph.D. Microbiology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- 2006 Postdoctoral Biological Sciences/ Immunology, Mt. Holyoke College, S. Hadley, MA
- 2008-present Adjunct Faculty, Microbiology, Biology, Roxbury Community College, Roxbury, MA
- 2011 Postdoctoral Environmental Conservation, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- 2015–present Research Fellow, Division of Infectious Diseases Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Peer reviewed publications in print or other media:
- Chen, T., Yuan, J., Duncanson, S., Hibert, M. L., Sremac, M., Kodish, B. C., Mylavaganam, G., Maker, M., Li, H., Santosuosso, M., Forbes, B., Kashiwagi, S., Cao, J., Thomas, M., Hartono, C., Sachs, D., Markmann, J., Sambanis, A., Poznansky, M. 2015. Alginate encapsulant incorporating CXCL12 supports longterm allo and xenoislet transplantation without systemic immune suppression. Am. J. Transplant. 15 (3): 618-627.
- Elkinton, J. S., Liebhold, A., Boettner, G. H., Sremac, M. 2014. Invasion spread of Operophtera brumata in northeastern United States and hybridization with O. bruceata. Biological Invasions, 16: 2263-2272.
- Gwiazdowski, R. A., Elkinton, J. S., DeWaard, J. R. and Sremac, M. 2013. Phylogeographic diversity of the winter moths Operophtera brumata, and O. bruceata (Lepidoptera: Geometridae) in Europe and North America. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 106(2): 143-151.
- Sremac, M. and Stuart, E. S. 2010. SIVsm Tat, Rev, and Nef1: functional characteristics of r-GV internalization on isotypes, cytokines, and intracellular degradation. BMC Biotechnology, 10:54.
- Elkinton, J. S., Boettner, G. H., Sremac, M., Gwiazdowski, R. A., Hunkins, R., Callahan, J., Schuefele, S. B., Donahue, C., Porter, A. H., Khrimian, A., Whited, B. M. and Campbell, N. K. 2010. Survey for Winter Moth, Operophtera brumata (Lepidoptera: Geometridae) in Northeastern North America with pheromone-baited traps and hybridization with the native Bruce spanworm. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am., 103(2): 135-145.
- Sremac, M. and Stuart, E. S. 2008. Recombinant gas vesicles from Halobacterium sp. displaying SIV peptides demonstrate biotechnology potential as a pathogen peptide delivery vehicle. BMC Biotechnology. 8:9.
- Stuart, E. S., Morshed, F., Sremac, M. and DasSarma, S. 2004. Cassette-based presentation of SIV epitopes with recombinant gas vesicles from halophilic archaea. J. of Biotechnology. 114: 225-37.
- Stuart, E. S., Sremac, M., Morshed, F. and DasSarma, S. 2001. Antigen presentation using novel particulate organelles from halophilic archaea. J. of Biotechnology. 88: 119-128.
Other peer-reviewed publications:
- Sremac, M., Vidovic, V., Dosen, R. 1991. The effect of chromosome aberrations on reproductive traits of sows. Stocarstvo, 45: (1-2), 13-26.
- Sremac, M., Vidovic, V. 1990. Chromosome aberrations as cause of reproductive and physically changes at boars. Arhiv za poljoprivredne nauke, 1-2, 1-10.
- Teodorovic, M., Jovanovic, S., Vidovic, V., Gagrcin, M., Dragic, H., Sreckovic, D., Maki-Tanila, A., Mesaros, P., Sremac, M. 1990. Research results of the enzyme type Phosphohexozo Izomerase (phi) for some production traits of pigs. X Meeting of Pig Breeders in Yugoslavia, Zbornik radova, 257-262, Pancevo, Yugoslavia.
- Vidovic, V., Sremac, M., Borojevic, Lj., Sijacic, L. 1989. Efficiency of Selection Index at direct test of boars. Zbornik radova No.19 - 20. Livestock Research Institute, Novi Sad, Yugoslavia.
- Sremac, M. 1989. Use of genetic groups and relationship coefficient at the Mixed Models of animal breeding. Zbornik radova, V Meeting of young researchers of Yugoslavia in the field of Biotechnics, 44, Osijek, Yugoslavia.
- Vidovic, V., Sremac, M., Borojevic, Lj., Trnjakov, J., Sijacic, L. 1987. Corellation between important growing and reproductive traits of sows. IX Meeting of Pig Breeders in Yugoslavia, Zbornik radova, 137-143, Osijek, Yugoslavia.
- Vidovic, V., Sremac, M., Trnjakov, J., Sijacic, L., Borojevic, Lj. 1987. Selection effect at important growing traits of boars in direct test. IX Meeting of Pig Breeders in Yugoslavia, Zbornik radova, 101-105, Osijek, Yugoslavia.
Research publications without named authorship:
Non-peer reviewed scientific or medical publications/materials in print or other media:
- Childs, T.S. & Webley, W.C., 2012. In vitro assessment of halobacterial gas vesicles as a Chlamydia vaccine display and delivery system. Vaccine, 30(41), p.5942-5948. (*donation of plasmid strains along with helpful intellectual discussions regarding methodology).
Books/Textbooks for the medical or scientific community:
- Sremac, M. 2008. Gas Vesicles from Halobacterium sp. NRC-1 as Antigen Presenting System: Potential Role in the Immune Response. VDM Verlag Dr. Müller Aktiengesellschaft & Co. KG, Germany. ISBN #: 978-3-639-00310-9. (Autor)
- Biology, 11th Edition for 12th Edition, Sylvia Mader / Michael Windelspecht, McGraw-Hill. ISBN: 0078024269 (Reviewer/Editor)
Dr. Sremac is working on two main projects:
- new alginate micro and macro-encapsulation for xeno or alloislets transplantation incorporating the chemokine CXCL12
- significant role of the CXCL12 in the immune-protection of the transplanted tissues within the host immune environment.
He is currently working to further optimize the use of alginate encapsulated porcine islets as a potential cellular therapeutic for treatment of Type 1 Diabetes (T1D). Also, he is brainstorming new ideas in blocking inflammatory and immune systems related to the xenograft transplantation.
Dr. Sremac has trained several students since he started working in the VIC.
- Marguerite Bradley, BS candidate
- Ben Campbell, BS candidate
- Karlbuto Alexandre, MD candidate
- Abhinbhen Saraya Wasontiwong, MD, MSc
- Ottavia Clemente, PhD candidate